Saturday, July 5, 2008

Mariachi etiquette

Golf Guy and I rarely make it out of the house for dinner. The occasional breakfast? Yes. A sometime lunch? Maybe. But dinner? I honestly can't remember the last time we had "a date night". It just Never. Happens. So when I was so bold as to insist that he take me out to dinner last night he could hardly say no. Where to? The best Mexican restaurant in town, El Norteno - it's cheap, authentic and tasty.

Did I mention that the best part of having dinner with my husband is the conversation? Yeah, we talk a lot. A. LOT. It's one of the things we look forward to each evening - just catching up.

Anyway, last night: combine one authentic Mexican restaurant and...a mariachi band? Mariachi bands are loud, very loud. That equals no conversation at all, and frankly I'm STILL rather uncomfortable from the experience.

Seriously, what is the etiquette for a dinner time serenade? My order arrived just as the mariachi band got to our table and we all know that the beans and cheese are best when they're hot, right? But now there's a 4 man band standing there. Singing to me. And it was some incredibly romantic song since they apparently decided that Golf Guy and I were dating rather than having been together for nearly 20 years.

So while I'm being serenaded, do I get to dig into my Chile Colorado or do I smile politely as my food gets cold? I finally decided to enjoy the present (translated: revel in Golf Guy's discomfort) and postpone the eating for the moment. (Mm hm: cold beans.) This is making a memory, right?

Oh well, I won't remember those beans in week but hopefully I'll remember those awkward and uncomfortable moments with Golf Guy forever.

0 comments:

 

©2009 Minimally Me | by TNB